12 September 2009

On a "Quite Interesting" Note

I don't know how many of you (you? nobody reads this yet, who am I talking to?) are familiar with the BBC programme QI [Quite Interesting], with Stephen Fry and Alan Davies. If you are not, I suggest you immediately go to YouTube and search for QI ... this link should (if I did that right) take you to Episode Adam (1) of Series A (also 1).

If you are familiar, I think you might be interested to know that I've politely asked the BBC to release the series on Region 1 DVDs.
I called Netflix to ask if they had any plans to acquire these DVDs and they said that they only exist as Region 2, but if Region 1 were to be released, they would indeed snap them up. The fella I talked to knew exactly what show I was talking about (I expected to have to describe it a bit, but no!) and intimated that he, too, would love to have these shows available on Region 1 DVD.

In my QI-related internet excursions, I did find evidence that many US networks, including BBCAmerica, have attempted to option these shows for airing in North America, but the albatross in the works is all the media within each episode. The images behind the guests, the snippets of dialogue or music; all must be licensed and paid for. This makes airing the show cost-prohibitive. That's pretty much the only reason you haven't seen it on BBCAmerica, PBS, or any other networks that have pursued it.
As for why it hasn't been released on Region 1 DVD, it seems to be the consensus that the BBC doesn't think there's a market for it. I can understand not hearing about the other networks interest, but I'm baffled as to how they could be unaware of BBCAmerica's intent.

If you want to join me in asking the BBC nicely to release Region 1 DVDs, here's the link I used. (Then choose Enquiry > TV > BBC1 > and the full programme title is QI: Quite Interesting, but QI will suffice).

No comments:

Post a Comment